How to Make Shoelaces on a Round Spool Loom
How to make shoelaces was a question I asked myself because I wanted a particular color of shoelaces. Loom knitting a set just seemed like a really cool idea. Especially because kids wear them out like there’s no tomorrow. Might as well put them to work and let me them enjoy making their own.
Not to mention how often I have been wanting a pair in a particular size and a very peculiar color.
So I made a pair and created a step by step video tutorial to help those that are visual learners like me. That way lots of other folks could enjoy this really cool project as much as I do.
Note: The video is one of my first and the quality is NOT that great. But the message gets through loud and clear. Plus check out the cool trick to avoid counting rows.
The Pattern: How to Make Shoelaces
The Pattern is FREE on this website. To Purchase a Printable PDF Version: Click HERE
When you purchase a pattern you help keep support LoomaHat.com and I GREATLY appreciate it.
You will use the small 5 peg side of the Spool Loom
Measure your Shoelace with a measuring tape. For every inch you will knit 6 rows – to avoid counting watch the video for a cool trick.
1. Make a knot to put over one of the pegs
2. Wrap 3 pegs completely around (e-wrap) – first row
3. Next row don’t wrap around just place the floss over the front of each peg like one big wrap. Keep the bottom strands well separated from the top strands
4. With the yarn hook grab the first 2 bottom strands and pull them over the top 2 strands. Loop them over to the back of peg. You should be left with 1 row of strands on all 3 pegs. DON’T count the first row it will be loose and you will be hiding this row of yarn (floss).
5. Repeat for the number of rows needed for your shoes – based on 6 rows for every 1 inch.
6. When done use the gathering method to complete and remove work from the loom. Note that It will look short.
7. Pull and stretch on the shoelace from edge to edge until it almost doubles in length
8. Put some tape on the edges. Roll the tape to make it round – Feed the beads
9. Make a knot on the end. Put a glue dot with the glue gun.
Other Uses for Spool
What is really cool about this project is that once you have learned how to make shoelaces with the spool loom you can use them for lots of other things. They can become hair ties. Make it longer, connect both ends and turn it into a necklace. Add beads while you loom. Leave it flat and use them as bookmarks.
One cool project which is only a little different to make but is just as cool to make is a friendship bracelet. For more info: Click Here
If you have other ideas on how to make shoelaces on a loom leave me a comment and share your patterns, tips or tricks. All are much appreciated and benefit everyone that visits this site.
Other Uses for Your Floss
You can add what I call color burst with embroidery floss. I’ve can great fun adding it into other projects like a cool purse and even a triangle shawl.
If you need help understanding how to use the Rafflecopter: Click HERE