Loom Baby Booties : Very Cute Very Easy for Beginners
I wanted to loom baby booties for charity. Priority number one was that they needed to be really cute but very simple to make because I don’t like to knit complicated projects and because I wanted to make a lot of them.
Since I didn’t know how to crochet or do regular knitting, figuring out how to do this using the same basic skills I use to loom hats was a bit difficult in the beginning Going back and forth didn’t feel very natural with the first little sock. But, once I got going making these little knitted shoes it was easy as pie. Then I was hook I wanted to loom baby booties in every color and for everybody, even the dog. By-the-way, even if you can loom baby booties for the dog you should reconsider. I don’t think they like the feel of the yarn. Any way, that’s another story for another day and another project. If you do make some for your dog or cat, PLEASE send me pictures!
Supplies Needed :
Flower Loom, Hook, Baby Yarn, Yarn Needle, Scissors
You can click the picture to purchase any of the supplies:
Loom: The Flower Loom
You will be needing a flower loom for this project. I use the Knifty Knitter 4-1/2 Inch Flower Loom however other name brands make the same loom with minor, non-consequential differences. The loom might to blue instead of orange. If asked to choose another easily available flower loom I would choose the Boye Flower Loom . In reality, the brand name, color or price is really not what’s most important. What you’re looking for is the number of pegs which is 12. In face even if the loom has 1 less peg or one extra peg, that is not a big deal.
By-the-way, this little loom is used here often.
The Simple Pattern: Beginner Easy
Note: Use Baby Yarn.
E-wrap stitch only. 7 rows for the heel and 9 rows for the front pad of your foot.
1. (Cast on) Using two strands of yarn of if they were one go counter-clockwise. Wrap each peg once. Stop at the last peg- ( do not complet the circle. There should be a gap between the two front pegs- see picture below) change the direction of your work- now wrap each peg going clockwise – You should have four strands on every peg. Two on the bottom and two on the top
2. Knit (e-Wrap Stitch) Pull the two bottom strands over the two top and flip over the back of the peg. – Do this for each peg.
When done – you’ve finished row 1. Repeat- You need 6 more rows for the heel.
3. When you’re done with that 7th row you will then begin to work ONLY in a counter clock-wise direction. Wrap ALL pegs twice. You should have four strands on every peg. Two on the bottom and two on the top
4. Knit (e-Wrap Stitch) Pull the two bottom strands over the two top and flip over the back of the peg.
Do 9 rows in total for the front of the foot.
5. Close the front of the booty using the gathering method. As if closing a Hat:
6. Thread the needle with yarn. Sew the open part of the heel closed.
7. Decorate – if you want to.
The Video: How to Loom Knit Baby Booties
Note: At the end of this page
You will find a video on how to make the tiny pom poms you see in my Loom Baby Booties picture. There are dozens of ways to decorate them but keep in mind that depending on the age of the baby they do like to put their feet in their mouth. Don’t use buttons or artificial flowers. They look very cute on the loom baby booties but can be harmful. Even the pom poms can be a problem. I have placed them on the booties in my picture only for to get your attention I don’t put them on the socks I make for charity.
Note: At the end of this page
You will find instructions on how to make an adult pair. It’s important to know that the small 24 peg loom is what is use to make the adult size version of the loom baby booties.
If you have never loomed anything ever, it may be best to try to loom knit a little brimless hat first to get acquainted with a loom and hook. Note, this is not a Must, just an opinion from personal teaching experience. On the right sidebar of this page is a little black box with a video on how to loom knit baby / preemie hats. It’s only a few minutes long.
Bye-the-way, the picture shows a hat that only looks like it has a brim. It is knitted brimless and when the hat is finished the bottom is folded up to create a softer brim.
One bonus to making the hat , you’ll have a great gift once you loom baby booties and make a matching hat.
But if you feel that you don’t need to do that then dive in. Below is the Loom Baby Booties video !
Picture Tutorial Part 1
1. Get your Flower Loom
2. Take two strands of yarn, wrap the yarn around the pegs going around the loom but stopping at the last peg without completing the circle. There should be a gap between the two front pegs.
3. Turn around and wrap pegs in the opposite direction
4. After you have wrapped all the pegs twice (leaving an opening in the front) get your hook and start pulling your bottom two strands over the top two strands and over the pegs.
5. When it’s time to wrap, don’t loom the first peg, start with the second. Wrap all pegs like before. When you reach the front grab the hook and start pulling the bottom strands over the top two strands and over the peg.
6. Continue knitting. You need 7 rows to make the heel.
Picture Tutorial Part 2
1. Now you work on the front of the foot. You start by wrapping all the pegs.
2. This time you go completely around
3 . You need 9 rows for the front foot part of the booties / sock
4. When you have done your 9 rows.thread your yarn needle.
5. Find the dent in each peg. Put the needle there to get to the yarn.
6. Push the needle upwards to pull the yarn loops off the pegs. Start to gather the loops.
7. When you have pulled all the loops off the loom your booties will come off the loom. Grab the two left over yarn strings and pull the front of the sock shut.
8. Put your yarn needle through the hole and turn your work inside out
Picture Tutorial Part 3
1. Sew the hole shut
2. Make a knot
3. Sew the heel closed
4.. Turn the sock back – outside in
5. Admire your work
To Make an Adult Version of the Loom Baby Booties
Get a ruler or measuring tape. You have to divide your foot into two parts, the foot and the heel.
I will use me as an example. My foot is 8 inches ( i’m a shorty). I divide it like this: 3 inches for my heel and 5 for my foot. Remember that the formula is based on using worsted weight yarn (thick yarn) and two strands.. so for my heel I would loom knit 12 incomplete rows and for my foot 20 complete rows.
Once you loom baby booties if you still want to add little pom poms below is a video that shows you how to make tiny pom poms with a fork.